Friday, April 19, 2013

How does one make friends?

I now have a new job.

Huzzah.

The company is organising my visa. 

Huzzah.

They found my a share flat to live in. 

Huzzah.

I get to stay in Europe another year.

Huzzah.

The company gave me a phone. 

Huzzah?...

But who am I going to call? The people I live with are very nice and all except one speaks English. But I feel bad making such a large group of people talk in another language, especially if it means excluding one of their own.

Which brings me to the question. How do I make friends?

A few years ago, my friend and I were brainstorming money making schemes. I suggested speed friendships- like speed dating but without any of the sexual connotations. Basically anyone who felt like they needed a new/more friends could attend and see if there was anyone they clicked with. My idea was shot down in flames, my friend said  nobody would admit they didn't have any friends.

I'll admit it, I am searching for a friend. I am not entirely friendless, but in my new town I am. I don't even know where to start looking. Is it pathetic “ to look for a friend."

 Maybe I should put an ad in the paper.

        “Female looking for companion.                                                                                                                                   Must be available for coffee, drinks, errand running, 
hi-jinx and miscellaneous activities."

That is sure to only attract crazy people.

I guess I could join a gym and start chatting to the unsuspecting woman on the treadmill next to me. Ask her to coffee. She'd think I was hitting on her.

Strike up a conversation with someone on the bus. A lot of weirdos ride they bus.

Sit alone in a busy cafe and offer the spare seats at my table to people. Tricking people into a friendship doesn't seem like a good premise.

I guess I just keep smiling at everyone I meet and eventually, I will find the one.
My new friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment